Monday, March 31, 2008

Class follow up 3/31

1. Hmm... I would have to say one of the most interesting thing was how women in those eras weren't allowed to smoke, drink, or curse in public, yet some designers used women smoking in ads for cigarettes. I already knew how women during that time were seen as beautiful if they were a little how to say bigger than women in advertising today but it was still kinda interesting.

2. I would like to learn more about the Rococo period since that wasn't really mentioned much.

3. You are on the hunt now: find a modern day design which you admire and that you feel is influenced by both of these styles and post it in your blog, stating why you think it's in the style and why you admire it

The first image I found is from one of my favorite bands, Panic at the Disco. This is the cover for their new album called Pretty.Odd.



I think that it best represents the Victorian era because of the use of flowers and the woman's head inside one of the flowers (which both of those were used a lot during the time). The reason why I like it is because like I said before, it is from one of my favorite bands.

This could be a good example of modern day Art Nouveau. This is from a fashion show with fashion inspired by the Art Nouveau period. The reason why it would best resemble this time is because of the use of bold lines, shapes, and abstract images. I really like the colors and the abstract shapes of this dress, and not going to lie, I would wear something like that.

No comments: